If you're a health-conscious individual, you might always be on the lookout for nutrient-rich foods that can help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. One such superfood that people usually love is walnuts. Walnuts have been a part of our diets for centuries and are known for their numerous health benefits. So we thought of compiling some much-needed information right from the benefits of eating walnuts to their nutritional value and more for you to get an in-depth insight into it.
Health Benefits of Eating Walnuts:
There are many walnut benefits for the skin, hair, weight loss and overall health for men and women too (1). Let's look at them below.
1. Health Benefits of Walnuts for Skin:
- One of the most significant walnut benefits for the skin is that it helps improve skin elasticity, reduce inflammation and prevent skin ageing. This is due to the presence of omega-3 fatty acids in it that work wonderfully for your skin. Walnuts also contain vitamin E, a potent antioxidant that helps protect your skin from damage caused by free radicals.
- Walnuts are also rich in copper, which is essential for maintaining healthy skin. Copper helps produce melanin, which gives your skin its colour. It also aids in the production of collagen, which is essential for maintaining skin elasticity.
- One of the many walnut benefits for the skin is that it can help prevent acne and other skin problems. The anti-inflammatory properties of walnuts help reduce inflammation in your skin, which can lead to a reduction in acne breakouts.
2. Health Benefits of Walnuts for Hair:
- In addition to their benefits for the skin, walnuts are also great for hair health. Walnuts contain biotin, which is a B vitamin that is essential for healthy hair growth. Walnut benefits for the hair include strengthening hair follicles and promoting hair growth due to the presence of biotin in them.
- Walnuts are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which help keep your scalp healthy and moisturized (2). This can help prevent dandruff and other scalp problems that can lead to hair loss.
3. Health Benefits of Walnuts for Weight Loss:
- Walnut benefits for weight loss are also many as they are high in calories while being incredibly filling. Consuming them can help reduce overall calorie intake.
- Walnuts are also loaded with fiber, which aids in promoting the feeling of fullness and satiety. This can reduce cravings and prevent overeating, leading to weight loss.
Other than consuming walnuts for weight loss, you can also try the Saffola Fittify The Perfekt Gummies For Weight Management Apple Cider Vinegar. These ACV gummies help you promote weight loss while maintaining and supporting a regular healthy diet. The gummies are packed with vitamin B12 and folate, both of which will aid in improving your gut health and help you burn fat to achieve your weight loss goal with ease.
Tips on Incorporating Walnuts into a Weight-Loss Diet:
Incorporating walnuts into your diet is easy and can help you achieve your weight-loss goals. Here are a few ways to use walnuts:
- Add walnuts to your breakfast cereal or oatmeal for a healthy and filling breakfast.
- Use walnuts as a healthy snack option instead of high-calorie snacks like chips or candy.
- Use walnuts as a topping for your salads or stir-fries for added crunch and nutrition.
You can Also Read: Types of Cereals
4. Health Benefits of Walnuts for women:
- Benefits of walnuts for females include decreasing their risk of breast cancer and other hormone-related cancers (3). This is due to the presence of phytoestrogens in these nuts, which are plant-based compounds that mimic the effects of estrogen in the body.
- Walnuts are also loaded with folate, which is essential for women who are pregnant or trying to conceive. Folate helps prevent birth defects and promotes healthy fetal development. Doesn't this sound like one of the greatest benefits of walnuts for females?
5. Health Benefits of Walnuts for Men:
- One of the walnut benefits for men is associated with arginine, an amino acid that helps improve blood flow and may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Walnuts are also rich in antioxidants, which help protect men's bodies from oxidative stress and inflammation. This can help reduce the risk of prostate cancer and other types of cancer that are more common in men.
Walnut Nutritional Value:
Walnuts are a rich source of nutrients that are essential for optimal health. They are an excellent source of healthy fats, fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals (4).
A one-ounce serving (about 14 halves) of walnuts contains:
- Calories: 185
- Fat: 18.5 grams
- Protein: 4.3 grams
- Sugar: 0.7 grams
- Fiber: 1.9 grams
- Carbs: 3.9 grams
- Water: 4%
Side Effects of Consuming Walnuts and Precautions:
Although there are many walnut benefits, excessive consumption can lead to some side effects. Walnuts are high in calories and fat, which can cause weight gain if eaten in large quantities. They can also cause digestive problems like bloating, gas, and diarrhoea in some people. Therefore, it is recommended to consume walnuts in moderation. If you are allergic to tree nuts, you should avoid eating walnuts.
Walnuts are a nutrient-rich food that can provide numerous health benefits. They are great for your skin, hair, weight loss, and overall health. Incorporating walnuts into your diet is easy and can help you achieve your health goals. So go ahead and add a handful of walnuts to your daily diet and reap the benefits!
FAQs on Benefits of Eating Walnuts:
How Many Walnuts Should We Eat in a Day?
The amount of walnuts you should eat in a day depends on your nutritional needs and calorie intake. Generally, it is recommended to eat a handful of walnuts per day, which is around 30-50 grams. This amount provides the necessary nutrients without adding too many calories to your diet.
Which is Better: Almond or Walnut?
Both almonds and walnuts are nutritious and provide many health benefits. However, they differ in their nutrient composition. Almonds are a better source of vitamin E, while walnuts are a better source of omega-3 fatty acids. Therefore, both nuts can be included in a healthy diet, and the choice completely depends on your nutritional needs.
How Much Omega-3 is in Walnuts?
Walnuts are the greatest source of omega-3 fatty acids. A one-ounce serving (28-30 grams) of walnuts contains 2.5 grams of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which is a type of omega-3 fatty acid. It has numerous health benefits, including reducing inflammation and improving heart health.
Are Walnuts Good for the Brain?
Yes, walnuts are good for the brain. They contain nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and vitamin E, which are beneficial for brain health. Consuming walnuts can improve your cognitive function, memory as well as mood.
Are Walnuts a Good Source of Protein?
Yes, walnuts are a good source of plant-based protein. A one-ounce serving of walnuts contains 4 grams of protein, which is equivalent to the amount of protein found in one egg.
Can Walnuts be Included in a Gluten-Free Diet?
Yes, walnuts can be included in a gluten-free diet. They are naturally gluten-free and can be used as a substitute for wheat-based products in many recipes. However, it is important to check the labels of processed foods that contain walnuts to ensure they do not contain gluten.
What is the Best Way to Eat Walnuts?
Walnuts can be eaten raw or roasted and can be added to various dishes to enhance their flavour and nutritional value. They can be added to salads, oatmeal, and yoghurt, or used as a topping for baked goods. They can also be ground into a paste to make walnut butter or added to smoothies for an extra boost of nutrients.