In today’s fast-paced life taking time for self might seem difficult. But unhealthy lifestyle choices not just lead to weight or digestion-related problems they can also result in irregular sleeping, elevated stress, and anxiety. A good night’s sleep can do wonders for both your physical and mental health and luckily you can find drinks that help you sleep better. When you consume good drinks before bed they let you wake up feeling energised and rejuvenated. Remember, how your mother gave you a warm glass of milk when you were a child? She definitely, knew what she was doing because warm milk is one of the best bedtime drinks for improved sleeping.
Do you sleep late and have a busy schedule? Are you wondering what to drink to sleep faster? We are here to help you in that case with a list of easy drinks for sleep that will help you sleep faster and improve your sleeping pattern so that you wake up fresh and rejuvenated the next day.
Importance of a Good Night Sleep
Experts recommend that minimum hours of sleep for adults aged 18–60 is 7–9 hours each night. (1)
Lack of sleep is often associated with an increased risk of depression, diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and stress. (2)
With a stressful lifestyle, it often becomes difficult to get that 7 hours of sleep each night but one needs to realise the importance of adequate adult sleep hours.
1. Helps to maintain or lose weight
Studies show adults who slept fewer than 7 hours per night had a 41% increased risk of developing obesity. Whereas, sleeping longer didn’t increase this risk. (3)
2. Improved Concentration & Productivity, Concentration, productivity, and performance can get negatively affected due to lack of sleep. (4)
3. Helps to strengthen your Heart.
4. Good night’s sleep supports a Healthy Immune system.
5. Poor sleep can lead to depression, increased stress, and mood disorders (5).
Why Do Some Drinks Help You Sleep Quicker?
The hormone known for driving someone to sleep is melatonin.
On the other hand, the neurotransmitter agent that hones up a man's well-being, keeping him happy, is serotonin.
Serotonin present in the drinks for good sleep, helps raise melatonin levels in the human body, accelerating sleep.
A food item like milk contains tryptophan which is supposed to pump up serotonin levels in the human body. Eventually, one feels sleepy, intaking such sleep drinks or foods for better sleep.
13 Best Sleep Drinks for Good Sleep
If you are stressed out and thinking about what to drink to sleep faster, we have put together some organic and easy recipes for good drinks before bed. Take a look at the following drinks that help you sleep and are easy to find.
1. Chamomile tea for good sleep
Chamomile is one of the best bedtime drinks. It is one of the calming drinks for a good night’s sleep. Chamomile tea carries impactful sleep-driving properties. The chemical structure of chamomile tea ignites sleep, thus one of the best drinks for good sleep.
- It contains apigenin, which helps to incur sleep when it comes in contact with the brain's Gaba receptor cells (6).
- It consists of several antioxidants to calm you down.
Due to its natural properties, chamomile tea enables you to get rid of insomniac health concerns and promises quality sleep at night.
How to make Chamomile Tea - best bedtime drink
For making chamomile tea
- Boil 1 cup of water in a kettle,
- Add chamomile tea leaves to the kettle and leave it for 3 minutes,
- Pour it in a cup and enjoy the relaxing best bedtime drink.
The natural aroma of chamomile tea eases one's nerves and induces sleep.
2. Golden Turmeric Milk
For years, Turmeric Milk has been in use as a home sleep remedy. Turmeric milk is a time-tested drink for good sleep with authentic Indian flavour.
The medical properties of such drinks for good sleep are plentiful.
Saffola Golden Turmeric milk comprises
- Numerous amino acids, namely tryptophan instigate sleep.
- Several minerals that bear with them sleep-driving properties.
How to make Turmeric Milk?
You need only two ingredients for turmeric drinks for sleep – milk and turmeric
- Pour a teaspoon of turmeric into a glass of milk,
- Give it a good stir,
- Enjoy it warm before bedtime.
Benefits of Turmeric Milk?
The benefit of drinking milk at night is considered good if you suffer from of insomnia (7). For lactose-intolerant people, you can opt for cashew, almond, or other plant-sourced milk option drinks for good sleep to dilute the turmeric in.
Similar ingredients to make drinks for good sleep can be found in Saffola Immuniveda Golden Turmeric Milk Powder. This golden turmeric milk mix is enriched with the goodness of black pepper, cardamom, and cinnamon, which gives it immunity-boosting powers and anti-inflammatory properties to keep you and your family healthy.
3. Ashwagandha Tea
For tea lovers who want to sleep better at night naturally, one of the best drinks to help you sleep is ashwagandha tea.
People have been using ashwagandha tea for good sleep over the years to treat insomnia naturally.
- Ashwagandha leaves are rich in Triethylene Glyco (8). This compound induces sleep by curing anxiety disorders.
- The sleep-driving properties in ashwagandha roots make the best natural cure for insomnia.
- Regular intake of ashwagandha tea may keep anxiety and stress at bay.
However, it is better to take your doctor's consultation before taking ashwagandha tea regularly, as ashwagandha may leave adverse impacts on people with heart and thyroid health conditions.
How to make Ashwagandha Tea?
- Boil a cup of water in a saucepan,
- Add a teaspoon of ashwagandha powder,
- If you have ashwagandha roots, then add a couple of those in boiling water,
- Let the water boil for 10-15 minutes,
- Strain in a cup and enjoy warm.
You can also squeeze some lemon juice and add a touch of honey to it.
4. Best drink before sleep - Almond milk
Almond milk makes one of the best drinks to sleep better. Almonds are a tree nut variant rich in various minerals and vitamins. In addition, health beneficiary fibers are there in almond nuts.
Almond milk comprises
- Sleep-inducing minerals and hormones like melatonin and tryptophan.
- It has magnesium that adds up to its Nutritional values.
For insomnia treatment, older adults get prescribed regular intake of magnesium intake.
These components of almond milk make it one of the best drinks for sleep. It is a known fact that the benefits of drinking milk at night are unparalleled. It is good to drink milk before bed. But, people suffering from nut allergies must steer clear of almond milk.
How to make Almond Milk - best bedtime drink
- Soak 1 cup of raw almonds overnight in cool water,
- Blend the soaked almonds with 5 cups of water in a high-speed blender,
- Add 2 dates as natural sweetener,
- Strain it using a thin dish towel,
- You can transfer it in a closed jar and refrigerate it for 4 days,
- Enjoy it at room temperature.
5. Banana-almond smoothie
Wondering what to drink to sleep faster which is healthy and yummy? If the reason behind your delay in falling asleep is lack of magnesium, a Banana almond smoothie is one of the healthiest drinks for good sleep.
Magnesium deficiency often leads to fuelling problems of sleep delay. Since the mineral magnesium persists in both, bananas, and almonds, it is the best cure for this problem.
How to make Banana Almond Smoothie?
- Take 1/4th cup soaked de-skinned almonds,
- 1 cup chopped bananas,
- ½ cup cow’s milk,
- 2 deseeded dates,
- Blend them together in a thick smoothie.
6. Herbal Tea
What to drink before sleep when you are a tea lover? Herbal Tea. It doesn't have caffeinated contains and has sleep-inducing properties in store. The benefits of several kinds of herbal tea are in the Saffola Immuniveda Kadha mix.
Searching for drinks for good sleep without interruption? To get rid of sleep interruptions, always resort to ashwagandha tea. Those looking for a sleep anxiety cure should go for chamomile tea. We all know the priceless benefits of drinking milk at night, but never infuse herbal tea with milk.
Besides helping one get a sound sleep with no interruption, green teas accelerate the weight loss rate. It also helps in stress reduction. In addition, the amino acid theanine in green tea calms the body making one prone to fall asleep.
How to make Herbal Tea?
- Brew 1 teaspoon of herbal tea powder in a cup of boiling water
- Or use a herbal tea bag in a cup of hot water.
7. Cherry smoothie
Cherry juice is one of the best drinks for good sleep which prevents insomnia. Tart cherries are rich in the amino acid tryptophan which works as a sleep-inducing agent.
The sleep-wake cycle gets back to its ideal routine with the consumption of drinks for good sleep like cherry smoothies. Melatonin secretion gets accelerated by both sweet and tart cherries. But tart cherries are more effective in this.
How to make Cherry Smoothie?
- Place the cherry juice, banana, cherries and yogurt in a blender,
- Blend until completely smooth,
- Pour into a glass and enjoy.
8. Lavender chai
Herbal teas are one of the popular drinks for good sleep. The flavor of lavender mixed up with vanilla and other spices infused in tea makes effective drinks for good sleep.
How to make Lavender tea?
- Boil 2 cups of water,
- Place 2 tsp. of fresh lavender buds or lavender tea powder in a tea ball strainer,
- Let it steep for 10 minutes,
- Enjoy hot.
Though the benefits of drinking milk at night are highly effective, having turmeric stirred in milk as a drink helps you sleep as it may give a heavy feeling to some. Turmeric lemonade works as one of the perfect drinks for good sleep for lactose intolerant/vegan people.
Infusing turmeric in a cup of tea along with lemons is a refreshing bedtime drink. It is how one can cut out on the milk park from drinks that help you sleep, yet at the same time, get all the benefits of turmeric as a sleep-inducing agent.
How to make Turmeric lemonade?
- Take 2 cups water,
- ½ cup lemon juice,
- 1-2 tsp turmeric powder,
- 1 tiny pinch black pepper,
- Blend them together in a blender.
Enjoy the refreshing drink as it is one of the best drinks to help you sleep
10 Valerian Tea
Valerian tea is made from the root of the valerian plant. Valerian root contains mild sedative properties which people can use as a sleep aid and to treat anxiety and insomnia.
Valerian Tea tastes “woody” or “earthy” and the taste becomes stronger the longer it is brewed.
Valerian tea is considered safe for most adults for short-term use of approximately around 28 days. (9)
How to make Valerian Tea?
- Brew 3 grams of dried valerian root in 1 cup of boiling water,
- Let it brew for 10 mins,
- Enjoy it warm.
11. Peppermint Tea
Peppermint tea is naturally sweet and free of caffeine, it is also good for weight loss because it is free of calories. It also has several health benefits like
- Boosting concentration
- Relieving migraines
- Freshening your breath
- Boosting your digestive system
How to make Peppermint Tea?
- Boil 2 cups of water in a pan,
- Add peppermint leaves and let it brew,
- Keep the pan aside for about 5 minutes, or till water turns fragrant,
- Strain into cups,
- Sweeten with honey if required,
- Enjoy warm.
12. Hot Chocolate
Cocoa helps to unwind and calm us down. A cup of hot cocoa can help us have soporific effects. The smell of chocolate has a calming and relaxing effect.
How to make Hot Chocolate?
- Heat milk, cocoa powder, and jaggery in a small saucepan,
- Heat over medium/medium-low heat, whisking frequently,
- Do not boil,
- Enjoy it warm.
13. Kale - Apple Smoothie
Don’t like bananas in your smoothie? Make a kale and apple smoothie one of the best bedtime drink. Kale is rich in iron and vitamins C and A (10). The sweetness of apple makes it healthy and yummy.
How to make Kale-Apple Smoothie?
- Take 2 large kale leaves with stems removed.
- 1 large apple, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- ¾ cup of almond milk
Blend them together and enjoy the refreshing drink.
Other Super Ingredients that help you sleep better at night
For avoiding medical resorts, a few natural ingredients can help hone your sleep schedule. Especially ingredients rich in sleep-inducing nutrients, like turmeric, and vitamins are best. Have them in drinks that help you sleep.
Saffron in milk works well in drinks that help you sleep. Almond milk one may take as a sleep booster. Ashwagandha helps in reducing anxiety issues and improving sleep.
Worst Drinks One Must Avoid Intaking Before Bedtime
The following beverages harm the sleep cycle in various ways. Refrain from having them as your good night drink.
People often think intoxication might lead to a sound sleep in no time. IRL its the sheer opposite of the drinks that help you sleep.
But the sleep cycle gets disturbed in the long term. Within the 4 hours right before sleep, it is advisable to avoid taking alcoholic drinks. Instead have drinks for good sleep with a mocktail twist like iced herbal tea before going to bed.
A single drink might take more than an hour to get metabolized. Hence, one must take a bit of time between drinks while partying. And, sufficient water intake must ensure proper metabolism in that case.
The caffeine compound in coffee causes sleep disruption. In addition, since coffee contains diuretic properties, it induces urination. The urge to urinate can be a disruptive factor in sleep.
Sugary drinks like sodas contain sugar in abundance. Also, caffeine is there amongst their building compounds. Sleep routine can get annihilated by a sudden spike in blood sugar. In addition, it creates confusion in the human body.
Black or Green Tea
Like coffee and other carbonated drinks, black and green tea also have diuretic properties in them therefore not the ideal drinks for good sleep. Besides that, the caffeine in black and green tea also causes sleep disruption. Hence, avoid them.
Best Tips For Better Sleep At Night
Here are some simple tips you should follow for better sleep at night.
- Stick to a sleep schedule. Try to sleep for eight hours
- Watch what you eat and drink before sleeping.
- Don't go to bed hungry or be too stuffed
- Create a restful environment.
- Keep your room cool, dark and quiet.
- Do not take daytime naps.
- Exercise daily.
- Do not watch screen before bedtime
- Do not consume coffee before bedtime
Sometimes all you want is a peaceful sleep at night free of disturbances. Fortunately, there are drinks that help you sleep and serve as natural sleep aids.
Most of these above mention drinks for sleep can be prepared with just a few simple ingredients easily. And when you don’t want to make you can get sachets which are easily available today.
Frequently asked questions
Which is the best drink that helps you sleep faster naturally?
Milk, almond milk, herbal teas, and cherry juice are drinks for good sleep. They have the best ingredients for drinks that make you sleepy. The benefits of drinking milk at night are countless!
What not to drink before bed?
One must not have a carbonated drink, caffeinated drink, coffee, black and green tea that contain caffeine before bed. Contrary to the drinks for good sleep these drinks leave you bloated or drained.
What are some reasons you can't sleep at night?
It could be sleep anxiety.
The excessive work stress and anxiety pangs may be responsible for the lacking of sleep. Sleep disruption may not let you sleep at night properly. It could also be due to one's excessive alcohol consumption.
What are some other sleep hygiene habits for better rest?
1. Apart from having drinks for good sleep, taking a warm shower right before getting into bed reduces body heat and accelerates sleep.
2. Tech Detox – The blue light of mobile phones or other gadgets hampers sleep. Hence, avoid them before sleeping.
3. Induced meditativeness – A quiet and calming room induces sleep. The room temperature must be comfortable and calming for a sound sleep.
- What are some easy homemade drinks that help you sleep faster?
Is it good to drink milk before bed? Yes, Homemade almond milk, golden Turmeric Milk, herbal teas, and banana smoothies may help one sleep faster at night.
How many hours of sleep are necessary for adults?
Experts recommend that the minimum hours of sleep for adults aged 18–60 is 7–9 hours each night. Ensure you are getting adequate adult sleep hours in a day.
Are there any food items that help you sleep faster?
Herbs like peppermint, lavender, turmeric, and ashwagandha help you sleep easily. Bananas with a high magnesium content can also help you sleep better.
Why do people prefer to drink milk before sleep?
Milk contains compounds like tryptophan and melatonin that help you fall asleep. Tryptophan is an amino acid found in a variety of protein-containing foods like milk. It plays an important role in the production of the neurotransmitter known as serotonin that helps you sleep better.