With the kind of work hassle we deal with nowadays, it’s become extremely difficult to find time to workout and do some physical activity during the day. Due to the sedentary lifestyle followed by many, there are various health problems right from weight gain, to diabetes, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, joint pain, high cholesterol, osteoporosis, and so on.
To avoid these health problems, it is important to ensure some amount of physical activity during the day. Here are 5 tips to help you sync your work-life balance and fitness.
Tip 1: Prioritize Physical Activity
There is numerous evidence on how physical activities help you to prevent or lower the risk of various health problems like heart disease, obesity, muscular pains, etc. Incorporating physical activities in the day can not only help prevent serious health problems but also help to support a better life. Give equal importance to your fitness as you give to your work. A few things that can help you here are:
- Fix a time in the day that is purely dedicated to physical activities.
- Try exercising early in the morning as you begin your day.
- Know the benefits of exercising daily.
- Set a goal for yourself.
Tip 2: Embrace Active Commuting
There might be days when you want to prioritize physical activity but your work schedule is absolutely hectic and isn’t allowing you to do so. On such days make sure you embrace active commuting.
- Walk to your workplace if it’s nearby.
- Choose bicycles over cars. Riding to the workplace is not only healthy for your physical health but also great for your mental health as it helps you boost your mood.
- Park your vehicle (car or bike) far from your workplace to have that extra 10 mins walk.
Tip 3: Optimize Lunch Breaks
Lunch breaks are a great way to relax, unwind, and boost your mood. Committing to a lunch break has not been so easy with that pile of work lying on your table. Employees have been found working even during their lunch breaks to finish their deadlines. This is absolutely unhealthy.
To avoid this try turning your regular lunch breaks into Workout + Lunch breaks. Optimize your lunch breaks in such a way that you get time to workout or have some sort of physical activity during that time period.
- Go for a walk or a quick run.
- Walk around in your workplace.
- Practice breathing exercises.
- Do some stretching exercises to release the muscle tension.
- Practice some simple yoga asanas.
- Have a quick cardio session.
- Practice desk exercises.
Tip 4: Incorporate Fitness Equipment at Work
A gym or a small space to workout at the workplace is an amazing way to encourage employees to stay fit. Having a dedicated space at the workplace with a few fitness equipment like a treadmill, mini Exercise ball, resistance bands, under-desk elliptical, etc. can be beneficial in several ways.
- Helps maintain a work-fitness balance.
- Encourages the employees to stay fit and be physically active.
- Reduces stress and anxiety at work.
- Increases job satisfaction by helping the employees find a balance between work and health.
- Helps employees focus better and increase productivity at work.
- Decreases the number of leaves taken by the employees by decreasing the risk of illnesses and increasing the number of fit and healthy employees.
- Promotes better sleep which in turn helps a fresh and focused start to the morning.
- Increase the rate of employee retention as the employees aren’t under constant pressure to find their work-life balance.
- Decreases healthcare expenses.
- Creates a healthy environment and a good work culture.
Tip 5: Maintain a Nutritious Snacking Routine
Workouts are of no use if you aren’t maintaining a nutritious diet. Incorporating nutritious snacking habits helps you benefit better you’re the workouts that you are investing your time in. Nutritious snacking can:
- Help provide you with energy.
- Prevent fatigue and tiredness.
- Help curb unwanted cravings.
- Keep you fuller for a longer period of time hence preventing you from munching now and then and gaining weight.
- Provides your body with necessary nutrients.
- Help your body recover post-workout.
- Improve your overall health and well-being.
Along with nutritious snacking options like nuts, fruits, veggies, dried fruits, cereals, etc. incorporate some extra protein in the form of peanut butter to add flavour and taste to your snack and some gummies to provide you with necessary vitamins and essential nutrients, a great way to stay fit.
Two Such nutritious options are:
Saffola FITTIFY Original - Omega 3 - Peanut Butter
Saffola FITTIFY Original - Omega 3 - Peanut Butter is a blend of roasted peanuts and flaxseeds that is rich in protein and fiber. It is a vegan and dairy-free product that:
- Helps maintain muscle mass and promote the growth of muscle mass
- Provide your body with energy.
- Support bone health.
Peanut butter can be incorporated into the diet or as a part of your snacking routine. Adding peanut butter to a healthy blend of shakes or using it as a dip with your favourite choice of fruit is a tasty and nutritious choice.
Saffola FITTIFY The Perfekt Gummies
Saffola FITTIFY The Perfekt Gummies have a wide range that benefits you in different ways. These gummies are a good option when trying to fill in the vitamin gap during the day. Depending on the type of gummies you choose these gummies can help:
- Boost your immunity
- Support your bone health
- Improve eye health
- Promote better sleep
- Help control hair loss
- Improve digestion and gut health
- Support your weight loss journey
- Help improve skin health
Bonus Tip: Find Accountability and Support
Having a constant source of encouragement to be physically active and fit can help you work better towards your fitness goal and reach your fitness goal easily. A few things that you can do include:
- Find a workout buddy.
- Join a fitness group.
- Install a fitness app that can help you workout daily and also track your progress. This will help you to stick to your routine and also encourage you to set higher fitness goals.
- Enroll for fitness challenges.
- Take the 10,000 steps challenge and aim to achieve it daily.
- Take part in sports and other such activities taking place around you and at your workplace.
Irrespective of how busy your schedule is, finding time for your fitness routine is a must. With constant encouragement, minor changes in your lifestyle, nutritional support, a work culture that encourages fitness, and the discipline to stick to your workout routine, your journey to a healthy and fit life will not seem difficult at all.
FAQs on Ways to stay active when having a busy work schedule
What are some effective ways to stay active during the workday?
Active commuting like walking to your workplace or riding a bicycle to your workplace, optimizing your lunch breaks, and incorporating physical activities like walking, quick run, breathing exercises, or stretching exercises, practicing desk exercises, and being a part of office sports events or any such physical activity
Can I get the same benefits from shorter and high-intensity workouts?
High-intensity workouts or HIIT can provide the same benefits in a shorter duration of time. It promotes fat loss, improves our stamina, helps weight loss, strengthens the muscles, and so on.
What are some practical exercises or activities I can do at my desk?
A few exercises that can be practiced at the desk include, breathing exercises, stretching exercises, wrist exercises, neck rolls, etc.
Are there any exercises that can be done during short breaks or meetings?
A quick walk, jogging, squats, desk push-ups, jumping jacks, and desk planks are good choices to practice during short breaks. Leg circles, toe lift, calf raise, knee extensions, and wrist exercises can be done during long meetings.
Are there tips for managing stress and improving mental well-being through exercise?
Physical activities and the right kind of nutrition plays an important role when it comes to improving mental health. Breathing exercises, relaxation yoga, stretching exercises, enough intake of vitamins and other nutrients, and an overall healthy diet can help manage stress and improve your mental health.